Yeah I know
this is a week late but I was waiting on Skip to upload the photos from
the weekend but he hasn't yet so they'll follow at a later date (when I
can get hold of them).
The highlight of my week kinda lies in this weekend. Not alot really happened this week so I'm just going to go ahead and talk about the weekend.
So if you've been reading this regularly (or recently) you'll know that I spent last weekend at a Frisbee tournament in Wolverhampton as a warm up for the regional tournament this weekend. To sum up the weekend in a word? Awesome. I could use several other one word answers to describe it but I'm going to stick with that one. Although before I start on the actual tournament I should tell the story of how we ended up arriving 3hrs later than we had originally planned.
The plan was to get the half 7 train from Lincoln and arrive in Wolves around 10/half 10. We all arrived at the train station and caught the half 7 train out without a problem...however we got about 30yards out of Swinderby (I'd never heard of it either) which is about 10mins away from Lincoln when the train stops. Thinking nothing of it since trains occasionally stop so that others can pass or whatever we all carried on doing whatever til you hear the driver say something about a cracked rail and we'll have to go back. So we get off the relatively warm train and step into the arctic cold (the first snow had fallen the night before) and walk over to the next platform and wait for the train coming the opposite way to head back to Lincoln which took a while to arrive. We headed back into Lincoln where we were told we would meet a bus replacement service for us....there wasn't. So we waited around and told to go to Sheffield then to Nottingham to Birmingham to Wolves, which we did without any further problems but arriving at 1 instead of 10. We got there after our first match but literally just in time for our second match. We literally had to jump from a moving vehicle and sprint onto pitch two in order to play and minimise the head start our opponent, Fling 4, would get for us being late.
So we make it onto pitch and Fling are always great teams and despite this one being a fourth team with a 2-0 head start and us without warming up they really gave us a good run around, however we managed to come back and win something like 9-4. It was one of those matches where things were intense and people had unlucky drops/throws on both sides but in the end we came out as either the luckier or more skilled of the two.
We then went on to win our next match, I can't remember much about it....might have been our game against NTU 2. Despite being a team of freshers led by one experienced player they put out a very strong game however I think we won 13 - 4 or something like that.
Our last game of the day was less successful...I think....pretty sure it was our first real loss. This might have been our most poorly played game of the tournament....I honestly don't remember, all I know is we lost.
Coming into Sunday we were reasonably confident. Our cross over match was the most important of the day and we went out to win. We played well but the other team played that little bit better and so we lost.
I remember winning our match against seed 25 holding our position in 24 but losing our last match against 23 so ultimately we finished up 24 and maintained our seeding for the tournament.
I have to give massive credit to the 4 freshers we brought with us, Tom, Amy, Will and Dan played fantastically all weekend. Amy had a way of sneaking into space just when you needed her to, saving you from a stall out. Dan had some fantastic D and brilliant end zone grabs, backed up by Tom who could seemingly gain an extra 2 metres in the air somehow. Will came on leaps and bounds as a handler, now learning to use Hammers and Blades to go over or sometimes through his mark. He said a number of times that he keeps forgetting they're a pass since the fresher's had spent the first couple weeks not being told about them...
Of course I have to say thanks to our skipper Lex who did a fantastic job keeping us organised and generally being an awesome captain, I hope I get to play with him again some time soon. Sayer gets credit for sideline motivation and shouts when needed. He was also a great help on pitch with some great offence and long range discs.
This week? Not much really happened. Went to see the Lincoln fireworks display with Christina (My girlfriend for those that don't know) and then went to see Skyfall on Sunday with her too. Added up to a pretty awesome weekend really. The movie wasn't too bad, not exactly what I'd call a Bond movie but I've never been a fan of Daniel Craig as Bond. Admittedly after the travesty that was Quantum of Solace this was a step back in the right direction which is good, lets just hope they get back to Bond being Bond and taking on diabolical plots from masterminds in secret island bases with badass henchmen...you know like the good old days.
If you're wondering why I haven't mentioned Christina before it's because we've only just made things "facebook" official. She's great, met her a couple weeks back. One of those chance encounters really. Sat next to her in a lecture one time and things kinda went from there. Not much to tell really, we've got alot in common and get along really well so that's that.
Catch ya later folks
No comments:
Post a Comment