Monday, 21 October 2013

Monday...? Again....? Didn't we have one of these last week?

So....I'm starting to run out of creative titles for posts...

Anyways, this post isn't going to have all that much to it. Last week wasn't exactly the norm but it had one main event and that was pretty much it. Start from the top? Why not...

We started the week with your average Monday, lectures and boredom aplenty. Tuesday however was....different to say the least. As you know I'm a forensic science student so of course we do mock crime scene practicals to show us what work in the field is like. I'm sure I've mentioned them once or twice. This year we are studying Anthropology (that's bones and stuffs for those who don't know) and one of our lecturer's has done a lot of work in Guatemala and other countries working on mass graves. Meaning that we'd naturally have to investigate a mock mass grave scenario. It was your standard out door crime scene scenario just with lots of (fake) bones scattered about the place. Sam, Ant and Sarah formed the team, me playing photographer as always, Ant as CSM leaving Sam and Sarah to dig up stuffs. There's not really all that much to say about this part of the day. We dug stuff out of the ground, laid them out and then documented what we had found. Then we broke for lunch. Lunch is good.

Now comes the disgustingly fun part. Dead pigs! Yeah, you read that right. Dead pigs. To simulate a decomposing body we used pigs. They're dead, they decompose the same way a human corpse does so this one's actually pretty accurate....aside from the fact they're pigs...but shhhhhhhh. Practical being on Tuesday was a blessing really, we got to investigate the pigs to collect maggots and flies and the like when they were still relatively fresh. The smell wasn't all that bad actually which was quite disappointing if I'm honest. I mean I was expecting it be like a wall of smell but it really wasn't that bad. Probably helped by the fact that it was outdoors so the smell dissipated and was really quite bearable. Don't get me wrong is wasn't pleasant but it wasn't all that bad. If anything, visually they were a lot worse. One pig was in the bloat stage of decay and had swollen to the point that it looked like it would explode and coat everyone in horrible pig bits and stuff if you so much sneezed at it. Another one was producing some kind of weird yellow foam, I don't want to know how or why (which I probably should....) but it was there and it was disgusting. They were all laying in a horrible brown pool of stuff (three guesses what "stuff") and all of them were covered in writhing masses of maggots. They all had flies buzzing around them which we had to try and capture and recover so that we could investigate what they were to determine how long they had been there. This proved almost comically difficult to do. At one stage there were three of us all stood around trying to catch one damned fly....in the end? The fly pretty much caught itself by landing on a net and staying there while we caught it. I kinda think it felt bad for us and decided to let us have it....little did it know that we were going to kill it by gassing it so we could examine it with a microscope. Poor bastard...

Aside from that? The week has been fairly standard really. I went to the doctor's to find out what's wrong with my finger, turns out I have some minor tendon and ligament damage. The doctor suggested that I rest it and take anti-inflammatories for a month...regionals are this weekend coming...that's really not going to happen. Maybe afterwards? Still no. Lex has a tournament on in Lincoln, be rude not to play that! The week after that I'll start resting it. Should be back to fighting fit in no time!

That's pretty much it for now folks. Hopefully next week's post will be full of tales of victory from regionals!

Catch ya later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment