Some pretty awesome stuff has happened since Wednesday but I'm not quite sure how it's going to play out, it's early days and anything could happen but the outlook is promising.
Nothing much really happened this week before Wednesday...it was an ordinary Wednesday except I thought it was Thursday and was expecting an incredibly dull morning lecture on anatomy and squishy stuff, instead I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was Wednesday and the lecture was on Firearms. Considering I want to go into ballistics when I leave Uni, my day got a whole lot better from there. The lecture turned out to be quite a good laugh and I learnt some stuff I didn't already know (which is good since that's kinda why I'm here right?). Then I went to outdoor training as always on a Wednesday. Pretty standard session, nothing spectacular happened really. The weather was surprisingly fine for the time of year we're in, I mean clear blue skies with brilliant sunshine in September? It wasn't exactly a warm sun though which sucked, I guess it was the chilly wind that was kinda relentless.
Thursday (the real one) was ridiculous. We're meant to be sharing our Physiology and Anatomy lectures with the first year biomed students which is understandable, however as there are about 400 of us collectively, it becomes a bit of a pain in the ass to seat us all in one place. So they booked out two lecture theatres, one where the actual lecturer will be and the other to overflow into if there aren't enough seats in the original. They'd set up a stream of the first lecture theatre onto the screen in the second, makes sense right? So why the hell would you not set it up? You've booked the two theatres out because you're expecting more people than the first can hold, and yet you don't actually set up the stream? What kind of sense does that make? I mean what if too many turn up? You gotta spend ages setting it all up because lets be honest, wherever you go in the world the institute's IT is going to be shocking, so you waste lecture time setting it all up. I turn up in the overflow theatre because it's quieter and I don't really want to have to listen to the guy talk when I could just read the lecture notes and they haven't set up the stream. No-one came in to set it up in the 5mins I was sitting there so I left. So did everyone else.
Friday I felt kinda ill so I didn't go in, however I did wake up to find a message on my Facebook from one of my captains. First thought was "Fuck, what have I done?" but after actually reading it then I've been asked to play on Lincoln 2 in the indoor regionals tournament! I feel honoured. I mean this time last year I could barely do anything on pitch, let alone do it well. I mean I still don't think I'm good enough to warrant a place on one of our regional teams! I'm still not the most confident player when I'm on the disc and my catches are far from perfect. I know I'm only Lincoln 2 but still it's a big responsibility playing in regionals, if we did well then we might be going to nationals and that would be incredible! But it's kind of a long way off yet and anything could happen right? I'm looking forward to it regardless, it'll be great experience and I may learn a couple things.
The weekend has been pretty cool, training was knackering but I'm still not quite back up to fitness. I got some good advice from Lex about my technique when I'm on the disc. His words were "You could set a metronome by your fakes." Which I didn't even notice but once he said it then I couldn't help but notice it. I'm glad he said something about it, so now I can work on adapting to change my technique. Like most of us Lex is really coming into his own, it's great to see although he needs to stop being so hard on himself. We all throw crap discs at times, no need to let it get you down (that's aimed specifically at Lex, I don't expect him to read this). I tend to panic when I'm on the disc and rush my pass, causing me to fuck it up, but I'm working on calming down and taking my time a bit more. 8 seconds is longer than you think.
Well I'm pretty much done for now, might have something more to say next week but we'll see.
Catch ya later folks
No comments:
Post a Comment