Monday, 19 August 2013

Aaaaaaaaand it's Monday

Looks like it's that time of the week again. So it's Monday once more and I've got very little to say about the last week. I've been working hard and barely sleeping which has been....interesting. I'm looking forward to getting back to Lincoln where I can take it easier for a couple weeks before lectures start up again.

I have recently watched all of the first season of Avatar: Legend of Korra which prompted me to re-watch The Legend of Aang. I'd forgotten how much I loved that show. It's a shame kids today don't have any cartoons like it. It's hilarious and conveys some more serious points along the way as well. I must admit that it makes me wish I could control the elements to shoot fire from my hands or create tornadoes  with a sneeze but sadly that's not the case.

It makes me sad to see that there aren't any Saturday or Sunday morning cartoons anymore. I used to really look forward to watching Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon/Beyblades/Digimon/Avatar/Ninja Turtles and a whole load of other shows at the weekends. You'd wake up and run downstairs, park yourself in front of the TV for a couple of hours watching all the awesome cartoons. Yeah they were cartoons and people say they're childish but when I watch them, I don't care! I grew up watching them! I'd go so far as to say that they taught me some important life lessons. The differences between right and wrong, good and evil and not to trust anyone named Gary Oak.

Yeah they were shows designed for kids and maybe they are childish and immature but some of them had some deep and profound messages to give. Hell I can think of two obvious ones simply from Pokemon: The First Movie. Mewtwo and Meowth both have moments where they question life and why we do the things we do. It's a "kids" film for crying out loud! Most people still write them off as childish non-sense, so what the movie has a couple insightful moments, doesn't make it any more mature. The main character then proceeds to sacrifice himself. He throws himself between two of the most powerful beings to ever exist just to try to stop them fighting. What kind of kids film does that? And then they go on to create a whole load more movies and the TV series is still going! There were so many tear jerking moments in the first season of the series alone! And that's just one show!

Pokemon alone taught me a lot and that's not to mention the others. I could probably go on and on but then I'd sound like a right ass. I don't care if watching cartoons is seen as childish and immature, it makes me happy. They remind me of simpler times, when things weren't all so serious or important. They managed to teach a generation about life while making us laugh and joke along the way. Which when you come to think of it, isn't that what our parents have been teaching us all these years anyway? To work hard but also to have fun along the way?

Catch ya later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment