First off, a thank you to the 4 readers last week who read this without a link being posted anywhere. You're the die hard fans I'm writing for so feel special. Second I want to talk about something that if I lived with out it, I would be a lot more insane then I currently am.
Music. We all listen to it and we all listen to different varieties of it. I'm not going to go into the whole "dubstep is shit" thing because I could rant and rave (not in the party sense) about it and get absolutely nowhere. In the end it all comes down to your own opinion, you like then good for you, just don't force me to listen to it (I apply this argument to heavy drinking but that's another can o' worms entirely).
I like to think I have a pretty diverse taste in music ranging from power metal to classical and most stops in between and listening to all the different types (sorry, genres), I think its incredible how each one effects your mood. I mean, I know I'm not the first person to say this but it really is intriguing how something that....unnoticed has such a large impact on our mood and us in general. I say unnoticed because even though music is almost always playing wherever you go, it may not be music in its conventional form but there is always some kind of background noise to whatever you're doing, where ever you happen to be. For example right now I can hear a generator powering a neighbour's house, due to some power cable issues, humming away outside my window (I sleep with it open because I like it cold in my room....I'm weird, how've you not got that yet?) and although it's just one sound it's still a sort of music. It's unnoticed because even though it's there you can often zone it out, you can hear it and you know it's there but you don't necessarily listen to it and so it goes unnoticed. Even though it's unnoticed it is still a massive part of our lives, well mine at least, and I can't think of a life without it.
As I've said it has such a powerful influence over us that just listening anything from a couple notes to a whole verse of a song/tune/melody (whatever, I don't know all that much about music if I'm honest) and it can change your mood almost instantly. I mean (I say that alot don't I?) you only have to hear a couple notes at the least for it to bring back some kind of memory of some event linked to that song, more often then not it's a link you don't even realise you've made but you hear those couple notes and BAM! you get some memory come steaming to the forefront of your mind. For example as soon as I hear the opening to Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC then I think of some of my favourite Iron Man scenes, that one's a little obvious but it proves a point.
Although songs you've never heard before, or haven't heard all that often, can still cause huge changes in your mood and this I think is down to the kind of music (well no shit sherlock). Jazz/classical music a lot of people (including me, I like a bit of smooth jazz) use to wind down or relax because that's just what that kind of music is for. I'm not sure of the exact reason (I don't think anyone is...) but the slower tempo and the often lighter music is very relaxing and can be used to relax and put your mind at ease. Just as jazz/classical can relax, rock music can be used for situations that require a bit of energy or aggression, for example alot of movies and games use music that is a bit faster and gets the blood pumping. Personally I listen to rock music alot whenever I'm doing anything but especially when I'm playing a game that involves a lot of action. I wouldn't play something like Professor Layton (a puzzle solving game) while listening to AC/DC and Rise Against.....well I would but it wouldn't suit the mood very well, where as in games like Battlefield where it's all gunfights and explosions, rock music is right at home. Of course there are songs from certain genres that cause mood shifts you wouldn't expect, for example whenever I hear The Wolves by Ben Howard, I tend to be quite happy and uplifted which considering the songs lyrics and genre you wouldn't expect.....maybe I'm just a weirdo but hey ho, that's what happens.
As you've no doubt realised by now I tend to ramble for ages and not really say much, which this post probably seems to be....and it kind of felt like it while writing it. Hey I'm always open to criticism and ways to improve so feel free to comment or let me know if you think of anything or think some of my ideas are kind of disjointed and want some clarification and I'll do my best to address it in the next post.....not that I'm expecting anyone to actually leave any feedback....not like many people read this or it's getting published anywhere or whatever.
Maybe next week I'll have some kind of event to talk about that's mildly interesting, if not I'll either leave it (not likely....I get bored and this kills time) or I'll ramble on about some random topic much like this time, I'm thinking maybe something on changes as in people/places. That kind of thing.
Catch ya later folks
No comments:
Post a Comment