Monday, 2 July 2012

Fulgur Tempestas

Google translate is a wonderful thing. Anyone that reads this and happens to know Latin will probably tell me that the title doesn't read "Lightning Storm" as intended but I don't know Latin so I let the internet do it for me.


So the weather recently has been a bit unpredictable up and down the country. One minute it's brilliant blue skies and the next it's like someone's gone and pissed Thor off something fierce. I've also been thinking about getting back into creative writing since I enjoy it alot and haven't really done any for a long time. So I thought what a better chance then to write about storms, since they've been happening all over the shot recently due to the crazy ass weather patterns ravaging the country.


Unlike most people I like storms, I think they're great. They're not just loud noises accompanied by a few flashes and heavy rain with high winds, well not to me anyways. I've never been scared of stormy weather which is kind of stupid considering how dangerous they can be, not exactly from first hand but I've studied them enough in Geography and watched enough documentaries and stuff on them to know that they can be incredibly destructive.


I love listening to a good storm but walking around in one is incredible. They say there is a calm before the storm and this is true. Everyone and everything goes to ground as the air takes on an excited energy and the  storm begins to creep closer, causing the area to take on an almost deserted stillness. The way the wind howls and drives the rain against the windows and ground is the first thing you hear as the squall enters town and the assault begins. It's almost rhythmic how the wind brings the rain in sheets in a wave like pattern, its almost as if you're laying under a glass roof listening to the tide break against it. There's also something about how the wind seems to whip the trees into a frenzy, tearing at their leaves and making it sound as if it's the trees themselves are shaking their branches in anger. Then comes the lightning. Just when you think the storm might be about to die down and let normality return, you see a blinding flash across the sky soon to be followed by an ear splitting crack caused by its passage. If you get lucky you'll see more then just some flashes, first you'll see the clouds take on a hellish orange glow that seems to come from within, then you'll get to see some stunning fork lightning. It's like watching the sky lash out at the ground with a brilliant yet seemingly ineffective jab of blue-white light that smashes into the ground with all the force and power it can from the unholy rage above only to disappear the instant it arrives. There's something beautiful about watching the lightning dance across the sky as it moves with the wind and the storm clouds. Each blinding flash illuminates the clouds just long enough to see them shifting in the intense gales, briefly burning the image to sight only to be replaced by the next and eventually fading into nothing as the tempest passes. There's always a resounding silence once the screaming winds blow the storm on to ravage some new land in the distance that takes what seems like a decade to be filled by all the day to day sounds as all the life returns to the area from various burrows, nests and homes. It'll start slowly at first and then everything will rush back and act as though nothing ever happened, only leaving the groundwater and lifeless air in the wake of one of the most destructive yet beautiful displays of nature.


Not exactly as descriptive as I would but that's pretty much all I have to say about it for now. If I think of anything I'll probably come back and edit it but it'll do for now. I've never really experienced a severe storm which is probably why this kinda seems lacking.


Anyways, haven't really got much to say about this week other than the astounding week we've had at Wimbledon but I'll leave that for next week when a winner will have been decided and I'll be able to talk about this tournament and Stag On Ben in their entirety.


Catch ya later folks.


PS. Just passed 1000 views! Woop!

No comments:

Post a Comment