Monday, 30 July 2012

Passing the torch...

Thinking about it, maybe this title would have been better used for a later post, say after the Olympics or when I'm passing something on to someone but I didn't think of a topic for this week so I thought "What's hip and cool right now?" *Thanks to Sam for spotting the typo* ('cause people still talk like that right?) and decided on the Olympics.


I've never really followed the Olympics, other than the Winter Olympics, I've never really had an interest in them. I know that their supposed to be some great and patriotic time and everyone supporting the home team but....I don't even do that during the World Cup anymore. I don't enjoy watching/playing football, but I could rant about that for a post on its own. I'm interested in how we do, don't get me wrong but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it or find out. 


Like I said, I've never really followed the Olympics, not while it's hosted in other countries and not even now that we're the host nation. I don't see why its such a big deal. "Well Spud, the whole world will be looking at us!" And you say that as if it's a good thing? The whole world is going to be looking at us and seeing what a shit country we really are. There are some nice parts of London but there are alot of shit ones and we aren't exactly the most beautiful country to explore. "What about the Royal Family?" Well yeah they are a massive tourist attraction, but that's all year round, I doubt that will change for the 3 weeks (?) the Olympics are raping our television broadcasts...."Well surely this will bring in alot of tourism...." Yes, it will but is that really going to offset the millions of pounds we've spent on the development of everything related to it? "It's not like the Olympic Stadium is only going to be used once." Well actually....yeah it is. Can you see us hosting the Olympics again anytime soon? And they've already made plans to sell the place to some football team or another, I don't know who because I stopped paying attention, so yeah that place is pretty much a one hit wonder. 

Although maybe we've regained our loses already from the insane prices of tickets for some of the events. I mean the prices for some event tickets was ridiculous, 3 grand just for one event? That's crazy! I could live for a year on that! I know there was a whole raffle system or something for people who applied to be awarded tickets but didn't that crash in like the first 20mins and then not really work properly afterwards? To me that just seemed like a little forewarning of the events to come if we can't even get the ticket distribution right, how the hell are we gunna actually cope with the real thing?


The opening ceremony is always something to behold right? Well I can't say that I've watched it, I started to then I couldn't take it seriously when I saw someone compare it to Lord of the Rings, but from what I've heard Sir Danny Boyle (If he's not a knight yet he probably should be....) did a fantastic job, but was it better then Beijing? 'cause those guys put on possibly the most impressive display *Again thanks Sam* we're ever going to see. I mean how can anyone beat the nation who's culture it is to have freaking dragons!? We did allegedly have the Queen parachute into the stadium for it....that would have been pretty cool if Daniel Craig was a half decent Bond and the Queen wasn't like 80yrs old and didn't jump out of that helicopter at all.


It's not even like we're going to do all that well. Last time I checked we were 16th, which is pretty impressive out of the like 100 countries competing but still, we're a long shot from the top and we're only any good in rowing and cycling really....

That's really all have to say this week. Like I said, I didn't come up with anything to say before writing this.....maybe I should have just left it.....but then what about my adoring fans?



Catch ya later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment