Monday, 27 August 2012

Call me Hawkeye.

So this week, I actually went out and did something with my life! Shocker right? First off I played tennis with Emma, Ben and Joe which was a laugh as always. Yeah we're not very good and we mostly spend out time talking and trying to find the tennis balls but still it was a good laugh. Then I went round Jake's for a BBQ to celebrate his birthday which was hilarious as always whenever Jake's nearby and then we come to today (and the reason this post is slightly later than usual).

I tried archery! It's a skill I've always wanted to learn and well now I've done it! Thanks to Lucy who's a member of the Mayflower Archery club, she let me know there was a come along and try weekend going on, so I went down there earlier and tried it out. As I arrived I got handed a wrist/arm guard to stop the bowstring shredding my forearm and told to go over to the guy by all the bows and arrows so I did. He looks at me, turns to the box of arrows draws out three of these long arrows and says "These look about right for you, but you'll have to share that guy's bow." I turn to look at this guy and the bow, it's almost as tall as me! I later found out that Recurve bows (such as this one was) are meant to be just shorter than you and the arrows are meant to be slightly longer than your draw length. Anyway as my turn to shoot comes up the guy tells me what to do and how to do it properly and then says I'm on my own. So I step up to the line and nock an arrow, draw the string back to my cheek (kinda heavy for me at 26/28 pounds) and aim down the shaft at the target, the guy says "Good, now let fly!" So I fire and hit the outer blue zone for like 4 points. Then I fire my other 2 arrows scoring successively better with each one and creeping closer to the bull. So after a couple more turns firing 3 arrows apiece I'm beginning to get the hang of it, hitting the inner 8, 9 and 10s. Sadly I had to leave 'cause well a guy's gotta eat right? But I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and hope that in the future I'll be able to take it up as a more active hobby. Maybe there's an archery club at Uni but I'll have to find that out later.

Speaking of Uni, this time next week I should be chillin' with my bros up in Lincoln! To say I can't wait is an understatement. I'm dying to get back on the Ultimate pitch and throw a disc about again, it's been far too long. Although my lectures and stuff don't start for a little while when I get back I'm heading up there to go job hunting. Need to be able to eat and do all those other things students do, and for those I need that money stuff. I'm hoping to avoid bar work where possible but if it's inevitable then I guess I'll have to learn to live with it, money is money after all right?

Although I can't wait to get back to Lincs, I'm gunna be sad to leave Billericay again so soon, it seems like I've hardly caught up with anyone while I've been back, guess I'll just have to make the most of this last week here. I could always head back later but as I've said, I really need to find myself a job while I'm there and the best time to do that would be before all the first years turn up I reckon.

That's all I've got to say for now, I should really start packing some of my gear for uni....

Catch ya later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment