It's true, they do bite ass. Was in the library 10pm til 3am and it was brutal. Yeah I got my work mostly done but it wasn't fun. Teaches me for leaving it to the last minute really doesn't it? But I can't help but think what the hell are the second and third years going to be like? My sleeping pattern is on the recovery though which is good since I've got to start revision for my exams which start in a week. Shit. One week? Not alot of time. They've snuck up real fast. I mean in four weeks I'll have finished and hopefully passed my first year at Uni. It feels like just last week I turned up here, scared out of my mind because I didn't know anyone or anything about fending for myself and now (well in four weeks) I'm leaving after my first year. It's crazy how fast the time has gone by. I'd say I've grown up a lot from being here but well.....that's blatantly not true, this is me we're talking about.
So far this year has been brilliant. I've met a whole load of new people, learnt a lot of stuff and had a helluva good time. I maintain that my best decision since getting here was joining the Ultimate Frisbee team. I've said it before but anyone who's going into their first year should definitely join a sport or society or as many as you like really. They really helped me to feel at home here and it gave me a hobby to occupy myself. They're a great way to meet new people and having something to do helps to take your mind off things while you're settling in to being away from home.
We had our last indoor training session yesterday which was a great session but it sucked since it was our last one for the year. Outdoor is still on but no where near as many people go to it, which is a shame since it can be quite fun. Our end of year meal is tomorrow where we hand out the awards for the year like MVP (Most Valued Player) and stuff like that. That will be a really good laugh but it'll suck since it'll be one of (if not) the last occasion where all of us are likely to be together. Means saying goodbye to some of the third years who are leaving which will suck but the way to look at it is this: It's not a leaving party, it's a celebration of one helluva good, fun year. Hopefully they'll keep in touch or even drop by from time to time next year and say hi but I guess we'll see what happens seeing as they'll be getting jobs and actually doing things out in the real world so probably won't have all that much time to spare.
Recently, due to a couple conversations I've had, I've been thinking
about why I chose to do forensics. I like science, but I hate chemistry.
I've never been particularly skilled at it and I dropped my favourite
subject to do it so that I could go on to do forensics and I can't help
but wonder "Why?". Geography was (and kinda still is) my favourite subject. I've always enjoyed it, I've always been half decent at it too which is always a bonus but I dropped it for a subject I disliked for a possible career in forensics. I remember my thought process when it came to decision time. It went a little something like this; "You need a degree that will open up into a stable career, Spud," I talk to myself alot okay...deal with it, "You're good at science and you quite like CSI. Why not forensics? There are always going to be crimes happening and so there are always going to be crimes that need investigating. That seems like a pretty good idea." and so I chose Forensics, dropped Geography for Chemistry and (at a time like this don't people normally say "...and I've never looked back."?) well I'm questioning the logic behind it. The logic is pretty flawless, but upon closer examination it looks like it was sorta forced upon me. I know I made the choice and no one forced my hand but I guess there's always going to be a part of me that questions it and wonders what if I'd taken geography? What if I'd carried it on to degree level? What if? It's easy to ask "What if?" but it's impossible to answer. There's nothing stopping me from keeping an interest in things like Global Warming and renewable energy (that's a whole 'nother blog post on its own....maybe over summer) or even trying to find some way to do forensic geography...if that even exists.
Meh, we'll see (times I've heard/said that recently is a joke).
As I've said, exams start in a week. I got 5 exams over 3 weeks and then I'm done. I'd say I'm scared but I like to think I work best under pressure. Coursework is all well and good, giving you time to prepare and work hard on something but I tend to leave those kind of things to the last minute and that's not really a good idea, 'specially for me and how I get when I'm tired. I'm sure I've said before that A levels had more exams and I went into those quite relaxed really although I did have alot more time to prepare...It was results day I was dreading. Which when I think about it makes no sense since my general outlook to those kind of things is you can only do your best in the exam, worrying about that won't change your grade or answers, it'll just make you sick. That's really an adaptation on what my Dad said "Worrying won't help solve anything, it'll only make you sick." which is some pretty sound advice really. Although you can always wonder "What if my best wasn't good enough?" (hey look, it's another "What if?") but that's just me being me, pessimistic by nature. I plan on going into these exams as well prepared as possible and doing as well as I can. I've come this far that to fail now isn't an option.
The pressure's on but it's a good thing I thrive under pressure.
Catch ya later folks
No comments:
Post a Comment