Monday, 29 April 2013

3 IS the Magic Number.

So. It's that time of the week again when I'd normally give a quick run down of what's happened over the past 7 days and my thoughts/feelings on those events....but this week is going be similar to a couple posts from a while back. I mean yeah I've had quite a busy week and there's a few things that I could really talk about today but they're all overshadowed by the fact I saw Iron Man 3 on Thursday with Christina, Katie and Ant.

It blew me away, it was totally fucking amazing! It was such an awesome movie and a fantastic way to round off the three dedicated Iron Man movies! Robert Downey Jr. delivered another brilliant performance as Tony Stark/Iron Man once again and possibly his best one yet. He didn't do anything different as such...just better, not saying that he's done a poor job in the past but this time around was just better than all the others. He seemed to be so much more at home as Tony Stark and made the character his own, although to be fair he's done that since day 1 but if in the future they decide to reboot the series (I hope they don't) then they're going to have to do something incredible to make it even better than it already is. He's come along way from just being a genius playboy billionaire philanthropist. His delivery of deadpan humour was fantastic as always, saying brilliant one liners that made everyone burst out laughing but with a completely straight face. And then when he has to do the serious parts when shit starts to go sideways he's just as great. As always he was by far the best character, not to say the others weren't great, he was just my favourite.

Saying that though, I have new found respect for Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts thanks to this movie. She's never been a particularly great character in the Iron Man/Marvel movies but in this one she got some pretty major and equally awesome character development. Instead of just being the love interest she actually does some helpful and awesome stuff in this movie and not just to make her seem useful, they're some genuinely good moments and help her look better as a character. I know she's never going to be a main character and she's mostly just a sidekick there to show Tony is still human and not just some bad-ass vigilante do-gooder but it's nice to see her doing something rather than just being a damsel in distress or a bitch.

The bad guys were even better in this one too. Don't get me wrong, I thought Obadiah was a complete bastard and I'm glad he got vapourised or whatever the hell happened to him on top of the original Stark factory. And Whiplash got what was coming to him too but the Mandarin was a cut above the rest. I mean yeah they all had their reasons to hate Stark but this guy wasn't just a bad guy, he was an asshole too (yeah they all are but you know what I mean).

All in all the movie was the perfect blend of the hilarity we've come to know and love with the Marvel Avengers movies and action packed fight scenes (there's a real nice dig at the Dark Knight movies too). It was almost a perfect movie....almost. I have one minor annoyance at the movie and it is minor. The lack of AC/DC in the soundtrack. There's no Shoot to Thrill or anything. Disappointing? Yeah, but I can let it slide because of how mind blowingly awesome the rest of the film is/was/forever will be.

Hopefully I've made you want to go see this film if you haven't already. You do kinda have to have seen Avengers Assemble before hand as they make a few references to that and seeing the first two Iron Man movies wouldn't hurt ya either, then you can fully appreciate how awesome Robert Downey Jr.'s performance is and how amazing this movie is!


As for the rest of my week? Had a fun night on Tuesday going on a group date with a few friends, was a good laugh, nice to relax before putting our noses to the grindstone and revising for the fast approach exam season....yay.....least we get a nice long summer right? Or at least what passes for a summer over here. Ah well.

Well that's basically it for now, got a fairly busy-ish week, full of lots of revision and all that jazz (who cares what immunoassays do anyways?)

Catch ya later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment