Monday, 1 April 2013

Chocolate's over-rated anyway...

So I'm still up in Lincoln. It's Easter and it's lonely. Oh well.

I finally finished reading the Lord of the Rings! I think the reason it took me so long is the fact that I know the films so well and so I knew what was going to happen in the books anyway. Not that the films are 100% true to the books but they're pretty damn close in most of the key aspects and quite a few of the smaller ones too. As I've said before they're some awesome books and it's easy to see why they're so inspirational to modern day authors. I don't really have much else to say about it that I haven't said already really...

I have now moved on to reading Brent Weeks' "The Blinding Knife" which is the second book in the Lightbringer trilogy. This author is a fan of trilogies it would seem but he does it well so it's all good. Staying true to the writing style we've come to know and love he manages to juggle multiple character storylines effortlessly and combine them all so perfectly with a number of climatic events throughout the series. One of the things I love about his books is the plot that gets ever deeper as you go along and boils to a head so brilliantly at the end. You get to a point when you think "How can things get any more complicated?" and then boom, another layer of intrigue and depth is added to the story and you're left sitting there thinking "But I'd just gotten a handle on everything! You devious bastard!". I know its quite a common way of writing a story to add layer upon layer of deeper plot and intrigue to really grip the reader's attention but there's something about the way Brent Weeks does it that makes it special. The way he weaves all of the individual characters together so perfectly when they start having no connection to each other at all is astounding. The way the characters all start our completely isolated from one another but then come together in a binding event that none of them could have seen coming. I've read alot of books and I'm normally quite good at predicting plotlines and twists and stuff like that but the number of times I've been blindsided while reading one of Brent's books is crazy.

Some authors over use plot twists and just make the story too convoluted to follow and so you just get bored and give up whereas Brent puts them in with just enough space to keep you gripped but not so often as to make things too twisted and difficult to follow and they're never too predictable to make you think "Wow...really...?" they're always gripping and just pull you deeper into the damned book which is a real bastard when you've got work that you should really be doing but can't seem to put the book down. "Just one more chapter." is a thought that's crossed my mind far more than once while reading any of his books. I started reading The Blinding Knife about 3 days ago and I'm already 227 pages into it...kinda slow but I've had other things that have drawn my attention away from really burning through the story and it's a good thing too. I don't wanna read it so fast that I get bored and pissed off because the third one isn't out yet and I can't read it to find out how everything ends. That suspense is going to kill me as it did for the Night Angel Trilogy and I bought all 3 of them at once.

Bottom line is I'd recommend every one of Brent's workings as fantastic pieces of work. They grip the reader from start to finish and always leave you wanting to read more.

That's pretty much all I've got to say for now. LSD is this coming weekend so anyone in the Lincoln area feel free to come over to the university sports centre to see what it is we actually do in Ultimate Frisbee. The more the merrier and we're never shy to teach people.

Catch ya later folks

No comments:

Post a Comment